From humble beginnings, Fletcher Thompson has evolved into one of the largest and most respected “full service” architectural and engineering firms in the Northeast. In 1907, E. Leslie Fletcher established a practice specializing in industrial engineering in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Charles L. Thompson joined Mr. Fletcher in 1909, and on February 5, 1910, the firm incorporated as the Fletcher Thompson Engineering Company, subsequently becoming Fletcher Thompson Incorporated in 1914.
J. Gerald Phelan, FAIA, PE, an architectural graduate of Pratt Institute, joined the organization in 1916 as a draftsman. After serving in a variety of professional positions of increasing responsibility, he became a stockholder and Managing Principal in 1931. Shortly thereafter, Mr. Phelan took over as the principal owner, and led the firm through the difficult Depression period and into a period of firm growth and increasing prominence as its President and Treasurer.
In 1956, John G. Phelan, PE, joined his father’s organization as a field engineer while concurrently completing studies in Civil Engineering at Yale University. John succeeded his father as President in April 1970. In 1998, as a result of his retirement and the strategic reorganization of the firm, James A. Beaudin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C; John C. Oliveto, PE; and Michael S. Marcinek became majority owners of the firm.
This new leadership team proved to be lucrative for the firm through the following years, beginning with the acquisition of Rothe-Johnson-Fantacone, LLC in 2003. This 30-person, New Jersey based architectural, planning and interior design firm was considered one of the most recognizable firms in the state, and provided professional services to a wide range of private and public clients, including major commercial developers, colleges and universities, healthcare institutions, leading corporations, and state, county and local governments.
The firm continued its geographic expansion and extended its market reach establishing a New York City office. This expansion allowed Fletcher Thompson to build on its strategic and long-term commitment to enhance and enlarge its practice.
The 2010 acquisition of Schoenhardt Architecture + Interior Design further solidified Fletcher Thompson’s position as a leading full service firm by strengthening its already solid architectural and interior design credentials, and bringing a team of talented design professionals to its award-winning staff.